Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we get a new topic for a top 10 list.
This topic is right up my alley. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about names and books are the best resource I have when it comes to finding new names and their meanings. I’ve decided to split the topic in two so I’ve chosen the top 5 male names I’d use, followed by 5 female names. I’m a lot pickier when it comes to female names so it took me a while longer to compile the final list.
1. Finnikin from The Lumatere Chronicles: Finnikin is my book husband so naturally I had to have him in my list. I love the way Finnikin rolls off my tongue and with this name comes the nickname ‘Finn’ aka another favourite of mine so I get two for one with this choice.
Meaning: There was no definitive meaning for Finnikin but the related variations of the name all meant “Fair, White”.
2. Garrett from The Deal: I have always loved this name so when I read The Deal and fell completely head over heels for Garrett Graham, my love for this name tripled. I can guarantee that this name will be used in the future.
Meaning: “spear, strength”
3. Luka from Wolf by Wolf: This would make a good name for a dog. I prefer ‘Luka’ to ‘Luke’ and it’s possible I have a very soft spot for the oh so charming Luka Lowe.
Meaning: is of Slavic origin, and it means “From Lucania”
4. Kai from The Lunar Chronicles: Fun fact, if I was born a guy my name would have been Cai (Welsh spelling) so for that reason I feel like I should include it on the list. Kai is also my favourite of the male members of the Rampion Crew so he has that going for him as well.
Meaning: The name has its own wiki page but my favourite meanings are “ocean”, “shell”, “restoration” and “recovery.”
5. Travis from Something Like Normal: It’s a name that’s grown on me over time and now I just can’t get enough of it.
Meaning:“From the crossing or tollgate”
6. Emilia from Salt to the Sea: I adore this name and all of it’s variations and the strength in Emilia in this book was so admirable.
Meaning: “To Strive or Excel or Rival”.
7. Skylar from I’ll Meet You There: One of my all time favourite fictional characters so she is automatically included.
8. Annabeth from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Don’t you just love the sound of the name. It flows and it sounds so gentle.
Meaning: “Variant of Anne. Biblical: devout woman who saw infant Jesus presented at the temple in Jerusalem”.
9. Mia from Boomerang: I could also include Mia from Nevernight in this list and I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that I tend to gravitate towards female names ending in “ia.”
Meaning: “Of the Sea, Bitter”
10. Lila from A Darker Shade of Magic: This might just be my favourite name in the list. All the characters I’ve come across with this name all end up being fierce and unpredictable.
Meaning: Another one with a wiki page but I like that it’s connected to “Night”
Once I began writing this list, I found that I simply couldn’t just leave it at 10. So I’ve extended it by another 4.
1. Knox from Sacked: Probably a name I’d give a dog but it does sound forceful.
Meaning: “From the Hill”
2. Breanna from Walk the Edge: I just like the sound of it.
3. Tarver from The Starbound Trilogy: I adore this name mainly because I adore the character.
4. Lilac from The Starbound Trilogy: Again I loved her character but I also love how elegant Lilac sounds.
Meaning: “Bluish Purple”
Those are some of my favourite bookish names.
Which character names would you use?