Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we get a new topic for a top 10 list.
As I was looking at the list of books I’ve read this year I noticed that I’ve read a lot more series than I thought I had. A lot of the books this year are also marked as the first book I’ve read by some authors. Here are my favourites.
1. Sherry Thomas: The Elemental Trilogy was the first series I picked up this year and I adored everything about it. I love Elemental magic and combine that with good characters and you’ve got a recipe for success.
2. Leigh Bardugo: I had heard about The Grisha trilogy but I had not made it a priority to read. Then Six of Crows came along; with it’s morally ambiguous characters, hilarious banter and all the feels you could possibly imagine.
3. Jandy Nelson: The reason I didn’t pick up her work sooner was because of the onslaught of heartache I was told to expect. However, the heartache is worth it because I’ll Give You the Sun is everything I want in a contemporary.
4. Melina Marchetta: I am in love. Melina Marchetta is an author that always popped up on my goodreads feed but I never really paid attention to her work until I got my hands on Finnikin of the Rock. From that moment on I was hooked. Melina’s understanding of human nature is just amazing. I laugh, I cry and I fiercely love her characters.
5. Neil Gaiman: I love fantasy but again I hadn’t really paid attention to his writing. Then a family friend lent me two of his books over the summer and now I understand why people love his work.
6. Heather Demetrios: I’ll Meet You There is one of the few books I bought solely based on the book summary. Since its release in February I have read this book a total of 5 times and it still gets to me. I’m excited to get my hands on her other works.
7. Brandon Sanderson: I don’t actually remember how I stumbled upon the Mistborn trilogy. What I do know is that after 2 months I finally finished the trilogy and I am awed by his writing.
8. Victoria Schwab: This summer I binge read all of her work. The hype surrounding A Darker Shade of Magic caught my attention and I was curious. Vicious was the first book I picked up and from the first page I was hooked. She has made her way into my all time favourite list.
9. Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner: Not going to lie the reason I got These Broken Stars was because of the stunning book cover. The I read the book and my love for the writing, the world and the characters took off. As a duo Amie and Meagan are a force to be reckoned with.
10. Erin Morgenstern: I’m sad that The Night Circus is the only book that’s been released. This book is like a hidden gem. I didn’t even know it existed until this year. It is well and truly magical. A perfect book for rainy days.
Those are my favourite new-to-me authors of 2015. Who made it to your list?